Portesbery School

Portesbery School - a happy school where every one matters

SEN Information Report

Portesbery's response to SEND'14 Questions


Question 1
How does the setting / school / college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?
All pupils attending the school have a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which identifies the school as the most appropriate provision for the pupil. This also identifies the pupil’s primary and where appropriate additional needs and the annual review of the SEN statement/EHCP ensures that they reflect the pupil’s current needs.

The primary need of pupils attending Portesbery is severe learning difficulties (SLD) or profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), some may also have Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

 Question 2

How will early years setting / school / college staff support my child/young person?
Every child at our school will have a statement or an EHCP. This document outlines the particular needs of your child and recommends the resources, teaching programmes and multi-agency involvement related to meeting these needs.

The class teacher co-ordinates the plan and oversees its implementation. The class teacher, in consultation with parents at the Annual Review meeting will set targets for your child and these will be outlined in their Individual Education Plan (IEP) which is shared with all the staff who are working with your child and with you as the parent/carer as well as with the child, where appropriate. 

 Question 3

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?
Your child will follow the National Curriculum which is adapted to their needs and their learning will be differentiated to enable them to make progress.

Throughout the school, pupils are grouped according to their needs and abilities. The level of support will depend on your child’s needs, as identified in the child’s statement or EHCP.

In the Primary Department, a themed curriculum is in place to ensure high levels of interest and engagement whilst covering all areas of the curriculum.

In the Secondary Department, the curriculum is adapted to allow opportunities for accreditation, independent living, life skills and community learning.

 Question 4

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?
We regularly discuss progression for your child during consultation evenings or annual review meetings in school. Progress against targets and resources to meet need are reported back to the local authority for their consideration. We offer an open door policy and if at any point you wish to discuss a pupil’s progress an appointment can be made to meet with the class teacher or a member of the Leadership team. 

 Question 5

What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall well-being?
We maintain daily home/school diaries to ensure effective communication is maintained.

We are committed to multi-agency working to ensure that the needs of the whole child are met.

Pupils have a care plan which identifies their care needs including personal care needs and the administration of medication when required. It also identifies emergency procedures to be followed.

Professionals from other agencies including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, health and CAMHS visit the school as appropriate. As well as supporting individual pupils these professionals advise staff around strategies and offer training

Each class team ensures that the pastoral needs of pupils from across the school are met. 

 Question 6

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting / school / college?
Specialist Services are assessed, provided and managed by Health through their local provider. These services can be specified in the statement or EHCP or may form part of the core offer to the school.  

These services may include, Speech & Language Therapy,  Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and School Nursing

In addition we liaise closely with other agencies who work collaboratively with school staff in meeting the wider range of pupils’ needs including, Social Services, County Transition Team, Pathways Adviser and Educational Psychologist.

 Question 7

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?
All our staff receive training and support to meet your child’s education and health needs.

Teaching staff, teaching assistants and middle leaders have accessed targeted programmes of Continuing Professional Development to develop their skills which typically includes a wide range of specialist training, such as, PECS, TEACCH, Makaton and Sensory Integration.

Other specific training is delivered to meet other needs, such as, behaviour management, moving and handling and specific medical training. 

 Question 8

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
Our off-site visits (including residential visits) are designed to enhance curricular and recreational opportunities for all our pupils and  provide a wider range of experiences for our pupils than could be provided on the school site alone as well as promoting the independence of our children as learners. We ask for voluntary contributions to cover some of these costs.

 Question 9

How accessible is the setting / school / college environment?
The majority of the school site is fully accessible and adaptations have been made where this is not possible. A new school building has been designed and is being built which we will move into in September 2015.

 Question 10

How will the setting /school / college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting /school / college, transfer to a new setting / school / college or the next stage of education and life?
Admissions to the school are determined by the local authority and it is their responsibility to ensure that the provision meets the needs of your child as identified in the statement or EHCP. Parents are encouraged to visit the school as part of this process.

Your child will be invited to access transition opportunities, such as visiting the class, or a phased introduction to the school. 

Transition planning is a vital part of the annual review process from Year 9 onwards. Parents and pupils meet their Pathways Advisor and the County Transition Team who will support you through this process.

 Question 11

How are the setting’s / school’s / college’s resources allocated and matched to children’s/young people’s special educational needs?
The school is resourced by the Local Authority to provide small class sizes and levels of staffing to meet your child needs as identified in the statement or EHCP. The use of additional money through Pupils Premium, Sports Funding and Year 7 top up, etc., is targeted at these specific groups and impact of this is reported. 

 Question 12

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
The pupils’ statement or EHCP identifies a banding level which reflects the pupils’ current needs. This is agreed through discussion between the school and the Local Authority.

 Question 13

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college?  How can I be involved?
We believe that a pupil’s education is a partnership between parents and staff, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly.
Parents are invited to all review meetings and a number of parents’ evenings each year.

Question 14

Who can I contact for further information?
If you need more general information about the school please contact the School Office on 01252 832100 or info@portesbery.surrey.sch.uk